Sri Lanka Travel

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka – Tropical Paradise

29. November 2016

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Tropical Paradise

Sri Lanka’s south coast is lined with picturesque white sand beaches, some more popular than others. For some reason, most people flock to the more touristy towns like Unawatuna and Mirissa. I however, really enjoyed my time in Talalla. The mostly untouched beach is lined with a lush green palm tree jungle and the water sparkle in 50 shades of blue. A true tropical paradise, just how I like it!

Although undeniably beautiful, it seemed like most people missed out on this little gem of a place. We spent three whole days here and met four other travelers. Talalla Beach is the perfect place to unwind and relax, as there isn’t much else to do, at least not during low season. So after one and a half week of non-stop sightseeing, it was exactly what we wanted.

As usual, we had a hard time choosing accommodation. To be right on the beach or on top of the hill with incredible views? I know, a tough decision to make. The prices in Sri Lanka are a bit higher than what I’m used to when traveling in Asia. And what you get, isn’t always what you think you paid for. But then again that’s just a result of low demand, so I shouldn’t really complain. Pay up and enjoy the deserted places, like the gorgeous Talalla Beach.

We had heard so many great things about Talalla Retreat, but in the end I wasn’t brave enough to stay in the open-air room (which was the only available option at the time of our stay). All I could think about was creepy crawlies coming into my bed at night. But if you’re not a sissy like me, the retreat looks incredible and is probably worth checking out. Their rooms range from a dormitory at $35 a night up to a large sea view room for a little under $120 a night. They also offer yoga and surf packages which include all meals.

The incredible view was what made us decide to stay at Hotel Panorama. We booked ahead and paid about $55 a night for the fan room including breakfast. However, after two minutes in the hot and humid room, we decided to spend $20 on an upgrade to one with AC. Much more than what we would normally spend, but this time it was worth it.

Though quite outdated, the deluxe rooms are large, clean and have unobstructed sea views. The only complaint I have is the bad internet connection, it only worked in the restaurant and reception area. Other than that we truly loved our stay. The people that own it are lovely and will help you with anything you need. And just a tip: Even if you choose not to stay at Hotel Panorama, you should go up there for a beer at sunset.

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hotel Panorama viewView from the restaurant at Hotel Panorama.

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Tropical Paradise

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Tropical Paradise Dog

Our cute friend I talked about in the dog clinic post. He came sprinting down the beach as soon as he spotted us, every day. So happy even though he was covered in scratches and tics. To burst the tropical paradise bubble, the state of the stray dogs at Talalla Beach was the worst we saw during our entire trip. Some without any fur, some with huge open wounds, some with limbs hanging on by a thread and some completely blind.

Related post: Unawatuna Dog Care Clinic

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Fish restaurantSome delicious fish & chips at the Sun Bay Lanka seafood restaurant, in the middle of the beach. The owner is super nice and helpful, so you’ll probably end up here at least once a day. Most of the hotels along the beach also have restaurants, the one at Talalla Beach Bungalows is great. In addition to whipping up some tasty seafood, they also offer Ayurveda massages, which Sri Lanka is famous for.

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Tropical Paradise

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Tropical Paradise

No, holding on to my hat is not my go-to pose, but rather a necessity as it was so incredibly windy while we were there. But that’s what we get for visiting outside of high season. The climate in Sri Lanka can be a bit tricky to understand, due to the two monsoons that affect the small island. Temperatures remain fairly constant year round, it’s the rain and wind that’s the real pain in the butt. So the best time to visit the south coast is from December to March.

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hotel PanoramaHotel Panorama on top of the hill.

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hotel Panorama breakfast

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hotel Panorama hibiscusTalalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Bohemian girlTalalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hotel Panorama viewThe view from our awesome balcony. I love being surrounded by green and turquoise!

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Jungle girl

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Local ladies working

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Tuk-Tuk

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hibiscus

Talalla Beach, Sri Lanka - Hotel Panorama sunset viewTalalla sunsets are gorgeous. Hotel Panorama was the perfect place to sit down and relax with a drink in hand at the end of each day.

What’s your favorite beach in Sri Lanka?

Some of the links above are affiliate links and I will earn a small percentage of the sale if you purchase through them, at no extra cost to you. This helps me cover the costs of running my site – so thank you in advance ! I only ever link to products and services I use and love myself!

You Might Also Like

36 Comments

• Reply stephanie 30. November 2016 at 14:56

Wow that sure does look like paradise.
    I have not been to Sri Lanka yet, but the more I see and read about it, the more curious I get LOL 🙂
    x

• Reply Amy Scott 5. December 2016 at 22:11

Oh my the view from those sun loungers!!!! I would never leave. The dog situation makes me very sad though 🙁

• Reply Amanda 5. December 2016 at 22:18

How absolutely beautiful is this place!! We have a timeshare so it forces us to vacation…I’m going to check into this place with my agent! Beautiful pictures by the way! Oh and the food!!! Love this!

• Reply Sofia 5. December 2016 at 22:18

Your photos are absolutely beautiful! Great post 🙂

• Reply Chloe 5. December 2016 at 22:39

This looks like paradise and like you’ve had an amazing time there! Never been, now I definitely want to visit one day! 🙂

xo, Chloe // http://funinthecloset.com/sudio-sweden-earphones/

• Reply anna nuttall 5. December 2016 at 22:48

Oh my what beautiful photos. I would love to visit Sri Lanka one day. xx

• Reply Clarissa 5. December 2016 at 22:54

This looks like such perfection — we ARE looking for a honeymoon spot for next fall! 😉

-Clarissa @ The View From Here

• Reply Hang Around The World 5. December 2016 at 22:59

We haven’t visited it yet, but as travel bloggers of course it is on our travel list 🙂
    Thanks to your pics we want to visit it now!! We are going to book two tickets lol

• Reply Kandja Sylla 5. December 2016 at 23:04

This place is divine. It like a paradise. Made me want some vitamin sea for myself. I felt bad about the dogs though. Anyway, great post! xx

• Reply Maggie 5. December 2016 at 23:19

This is so beautiful! I’ve never even considered Sri Lanka as a vacation spot, but your pictures are leading me to jot it down in my BuJo for possible future destinations.

• Reply Lindsey 5. December 2016 at 23:33

ummmm this is stunning! It’s a rainy cold day here today and Sri Lanka looks like the place to be! Definitely going to pin this for future travel spots! Cheers!

• Reply Jolina 5. December 2016 at 23:42

I must admit, when I think Sri Lanka I don’t think beach but your stunning photos have now convinced me otherwise! It’s beautiful there. And of course, the food and the massages 🙂

• Reply Charlotte 8. December 2016 at 00:27

I’m so happy to hear that, Jolina! 🙂

• Reply Julie 6. December 2016 at 05:42

These pictures are making me dream! I never would have thought that Sri Lanka was so beautiful!

• Reply Charlotte 8. December 2016 at 00:26

That’s exactly what I want my photos to do, get people to dream 😉

• Reply Amanda 6. December 2016 at 07:23

I just adore Sri Lanka and her people, I fell in love with the place many years ago and could live there, now I want to go back asap. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply Zozie 6. December 2016 at 20:47

If I were going I would so be reading and REreading to get all the nuggets! – lots of depth to this article to find ideas.

• Reply Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder 7. December 2016 at 01:21

OMG those colors (and your IG feed is amazing)

• Reply nadine 30. December 2016 at 10:06

Wow… just stunning!i’ll definitely gonna visit Talalla when i’m in Sri Lanka in February. how long does it take to get down to the beach from this lovely hotel?

• Reply Charlotte 30. December 2016 at 10:53

Yes you should! Only about a minute 😉

• Reply Hannah T. 20. January 2017 at 21:19

Looks soooo goooood! I will be in Sri Lanka in April… will read all of your Sri Lanka posts 🙂 they get me very excited for the trip!

thanks for sharing!

• Reply Charlotte 20. January 2017 at 21:44

Thank you for stopping by Hannah! You’re gonna have such a great time in Sri Lanka! 😀 Just ask if you have any questions!

• Reply Jacqueline 1. February 2017 at 21:52

Wow this seriously looks amazing. I’ve never even thought about visiting Sri Lanka until now!

Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Foirell 1. February 2017 at 22:05

Photos look amazing! I usually travel to the Caribbean for my long haul holidays but think I need to give Asia a try too! Glad you had a good time!

Foirell | http://www.citygirlrell.com

• Reply Chrissie 1. February 2017 at 22:48

Beautiful pictures! I want to go there right now! It will be added to my vision board

• Reply Jade 2. February 2017 at 02:30

Cool spot and the beach looks so inviting. I may check this out someday. Beautiful pics.

Jade |https://www.budgetsandweights.com/2017/02/01/budgets-and-weights-3-month-blogiversary-giveaway/

• Reply Riely 2. February 2017 at 06:13

Beautiful pictures! I want to transport myself there now!

• Reply Aisha 2. February 2017 at 12:20

Wow, this place looks like absolutely perfection! The views are unbeatable and the meals look soooo yummy! I think I would prefer this to the most popular tourist spots as well! #Bliss!

• Reply Brianna 2. February 2017 at 18:56

Gorgeous! Sri Lanka has been on my bucket list for a long time. It seems like one of those destinations that would be great for both cultural activities and just enjoying the beach! That’s my kind of place 🙂

• Reply Charlotte 3. February 2017 at 17:45

Yes, it definitely is! That’s the kind of place I like the best as well 🙂

• Reply Dave 2. February 2017 at 20:14

What a beautiful spot! Those beaches look pristine, would love to there someday.

• Reply Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen 3. February 2017 at 11:18

Talalla Beach is breath taking! The waters look crystal clear and that sand looks so clean and untouched. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Reply Nicole 3. February 2017 at 14:35

This is stunning! I love the photos, I could be there myself!

xx nicole

• Reply Anna Kern 17. January 2018 at 19:42

Hi! We stayed at Talalla Retreat last year and it was wonderful!! Only monkey watching you in the mornings some days. Lovely place and we loved the Talalla beach!!

• Reply Charlotte 20. January 2018 at 23:07

Hi, Anna! Glad to hear that, I will definitely stay at Talalla Retreat the next time I’m in Sri Lanka 😉